LIBQUAL Library Survey
The Library and Information Service
conducted a LibQUAL library user survey from Monday 25 July to Monday 29
August 2016 (5 weeks).
The aims and objectives of the LibQUAL survey were to:
• determine the quality of library services and facilities and to
compare these with best practices;
• develop further understanding of the expectations of students and
staff in order to improve services accordingly;
• obtain meaningful comparative information on library services
nationally and internationally from the LibQUAL data repository;
• comply with the quality assurance criteria of the Higher Education
Quality Committee (HEQC) with regard to determining clients’ needs.
One thousand, six hundred and two (1602) valid LibQUAL survey
submissions were received. ‘Valid’ survey submissions are complete
survey responses. The average time taken to complete a survey was 11
minutes 15 seconds (11:15). This figure is within LibQUAL’s ‘aimed at’
10 to 13 minutes for the LibQUAL Lite survey.
Seven hundred and eighty one (781) comments were received. About forty
eight percent (48.75%) of respondents provided a comment.
Some of the frequently raised concerns in the comments were:
1. Wifi connectivity is insufficient and problematic;
2. Logging in on a computer takes too long / computers are too slow;
3. Insufficient computers;
4. Toilets are frequently out of order;
5. The Library website is not very user-friendly; and
6. Noise levels in the Library (too noisy).
Some positive comments received include:
1. “I love the library,its my favourite place on Campus! …”
2. “It's really great to take advantage of all the available research
resources through the library. It really helps so much.”
3. “…These are all suggestions of course, you guys are running this
place pretty well. I have never not found what I need in the bib or even
on your website. Good Job!”
4. “The library services are overall great, …”
Stellenbosch University Library and
Information Services would like to thank all who participated in the
survey. The feedback will aid the Library in refining its services and
Back to contents page
Stellenbosch University Library and Information Service, Helpline Numbers: +27 21 808 4883, Corp Office / Postal Address: Private Bag X5036 Stellenbosch, 7599