Consultation sessions relating to the following issues:
- Creation of data management plans
- Management of research data during the research process
- Management of research data after the conclusion of the research process
- Data sharing and dissemination methods
- Appropriate mediums for sharing and disseminating research data
The following types of sessions are currently offered at the moment:
- Overview of research data management
- Data sharing and dissemination
Training sessions of this nature can be arranged for specific academic departments, institutes or groups.
Research Data Management Adventure Game
In order to help researchers learn about research data management in a fun and entertaining manner Stellenbosch University’s Library and Information Service collaborated with the University of Bath’s Library and developed the Research Data Management Adventure Game. This is a text-based role playing interactive fiction serious game based on the data management challenges of an academic research project. The game takes the form of an online choose-your-own-adventure format in which game players take a simulated research project through the following processes: data management planning, data collection/generation, data organisation, data description and research publication; whilst encountering data management challenges along the way.
If you are interested in playing the Research Data Management Adventure Game you can click here
is an institutional research data repository
which can be used for the registration, archival storage, sharing and dissemination of research data produced or collected in relation to research conducted under the auspices of Stellenbosch University. SUNScholarData
enables Stellenbosch University researchers to share and disseminate their research data in accordance with good research data management practices. This serves to facilitate the findability, accessibility and reusability of the university's research data.
- Data retrieval interface
- Data deposits
- Data publishing
- Data sharing
- Collaborative space
- Data usage statistics
- Embargo periods
- Curation workflows
- Metadata only records
- Persistent digital object identifiers
The repository will provide the following data curation services
- Ingesting and storing research data
- Mediating research data submissions
- Appraising and selecting eligible research data
- Processing and treating eligible research data
- Assigning and managing metadata
- Facilitating access to research data
- Monitoring reuse of research data
Research Data Management Libguide
The Research Data Management Libguide is an online resource that a provides a wealth of information about several issues relating to the management of research data. The libguide covers the following topics:
- Data management planning
- Data collection/generation
- Data processing
- Data analysis
- Data publication
- The Research Data Management Adventure Game
- Research Data Management governance at Stellenbosch University
- Research data services provided by the Library and Information Services
The SUNScholarData libguide is a companion subsite dedicated specifically to supporting the use of the SUNScholarData institutional research data repository. The libguide contains the following:
- A portal to SUNScholarData.
- A description of SUNScholarData as well as the reasons and requirements for publishing research data on the repository.
- A collection of step-by-step guides on how to use SUNScholardata.
- Tips on how to prepare data for publication on SUNScholarData.
- A description of the services provided in order to support the use of SUNScholarData.
- Governance documentation which regulates the use of SUNScholarData
Manager: Research Data Services
, Samuel Simango
| Tel: +27 21 808 9489
Research Data Services Librarian
, Sizwe Ngcobo
| Tel: +27 21 808 9978