The purpose of the Committee for Quality Assurance (QA) is to develop and implement appropriate procedures for assuring, monitoring, maintaining and improving standards of library services and facilities, in alignment with the Library and Information Service's strategic directions and Stellenbosch University's Quality Assurance Office.
Goals and Objectives
- To have knowledge of the Quality Assurance Policy of the University and align the Library’s strategic focus areas according to the framework of the University;
- To coordinate all quality assurance projects of the Library, i.e. LibQUAL and other UX (user experience) activities, external evaluations, focus groups;
- To benchmark with national and international university libraries (i.e. CHELSA national statistics);
- To coordinate all management information and the updating of statistics gathered by the Library and to report on these (as listed on the Combined Statistics List on SharePoint), twice a year;
- To facilitate continuous improvement of Library services and facilities;
- To ensure accountability for all Library activities related to quality assurance.
Quality Assurance Tools
The following tools are used by the Library to ensure Quality Assurance:
Self-evaluation and peer review
The Library and Information Service underwent a self-evaluation and peer review, both in 2013.
The recommendations of the external review were noted (May 2014). Four key improvement plans were recommended for the following two-year period. In essence these were:
- The development of a 2030 vision, mission and strategic plan for the Library;
- Acquiring institutional funding for the repurposing of spaces in the libraries;
- The development of an IT plan; and
- Acquiring additional institutional funding to build capacity and expertise to develop services.
A follow-up report, on progress regarding the four key improvement plans, was prepared in September 2015 and submitted to the University's Quality Assurance Committee.
The Library is undergoing a Self-evaluation and peer review in 2022.
The Library values receiving feedback from users regarding their experience of library services. Please let us know what has worked well for you and where we need to improve. Give your feedback
Quality Assurance Framework
The Library's Quality Assurance Framework, depicted below, is based on a principle of an overarching cycle of continuous improvement (Plan, Implement, Review, Improve). A further principle on which the framework is based is valuing the involvement of the users served by the library as stakeholders in quality improvement.
The quality framework continues to be applied throughout the library from strategic action level, to operational level, to the tasks of individual staff members. A culture of continuous improvement, 'ingrained' in everyday practice, is an outcome.