Visitors are welcome to use the resources of the Library and Information Service, providing this does not conflict with the primary responsibility to students, lecturers and other staff of the University.
of the Library and Information Service are accessible free of charge to visitors subject to positive identification with a valid identification document (photo identification is essential).
During the 1st exam period the SU Library is accessible for SU staff, SU students, CHELiN borrowers, CHELSA borrowers and other visitors with borrowing privileges only. Additional identification needed is a barcoded lending card for the current year. See
. See also more information concerning the use of the SU Library under Services below.
Please apply at the lending desk of any of the libraries. A copy of your identification document and proof of address are required.
The following visitors living within a 150km radius of Stellenbosch may obtain free borrowing privileges:
- Spouses of SU staff members
- Staff of Paul Roos Gymnasium
- Part-time music students at the Department of Music
- Certificate programme students at the Department of Music
- Music teachers at Stellenbosch schools
- Senior citizens, i.e. persons older than 60 years
- Tutors of remedial education students
- B.Ed. students of national colleges (e.g. Lyceum College)
Other visitors living within a 150km radius of Stellenbosch may obtain borrowing privileges by paying a membership fee: R265.00 for 3 months or R1060.00 per annum.
Borrowing privileges are:
- Number of loans: 3 items
- Borrowing period: 14 days per item
Renewals: 2 per item (within maximum renewal period of 42 days) unless someone else has requested it.
Renew online or enquire at the lending desk.
- Returns: To any of the libraries of the Library and Information Service
- Fines for overdue items: R1.00 per item per day
- Fine limit: R30.00 (borrowing privileges will be suspended when this limit has been exceeded)
Reserving books currently on loan: Free and unlimited.
Reserve online or enquire at the lending desk.
- Material available to borrow: All item types where POLICY is indicated as “Unrestricted"
- Lost/ damaged items: Replacement value payable to the Library and Information Service
Free self-help access is available to walk-in users only, in any of the libraries. Due to licensing agreements, access to some electronic resources is restricted to currently registered students and staff members of Stellenbosch University.
Basic information services are provided to walk-in users. These include assistance to become self-sufficient in finding sources and information, in either printed or electronic format. Should assistance be required, please enquire at the lending desk of the Stellenbosch University Library or ask any staff member at the various branch libraries. For general enquiries concerning the Library's collections and services,
Ask a Librarian
may be used.
Finding books, articles & other information resources
Walk-in users may visit the
and type their search terms in the search box or choose E-databases or E-journals from the FIND menu. Guidelines are available at Find, access and use information effectively: a step by step guide
. Due to licensing agreements, access to some electronic resources are restricted to currently registered students and staff members of Stellenbosch University.
Internet & wireless access
No internet and wireless access is available to visitors in any of the libraries. Internet and wireless access is limited to Stellenbosch University staff and students registered on the University network.
The service is restricted to staff and registered students of Stellenbosch University.
Print, copy & scan
Cash facilities are provided by Maties Copy & Print in the Stellenbosch University Library or at the lending desks of the branch libraries. See
Print, copy & scan