The main aim of the short loan service is to provide access to frequently used material for short periods to ensure that it is accessible to a large number of clients.
- The Short Loan collection consists mainly of recommended reading material.
- Lecturing staff, or their assistants, provide all short loan material to the Short Loan Section.
- Copies of articles and book chapters should be accompanied by the required copyright clearance and a completed reservation form.
- Printed reservation forms can also be collected from the short loan sections of the Stellenbosch University Library and the respective branch libraries.
- Completed forms and material must be supplied to the short loan section TWO DAYS prior to issuing assignments to students to allow sufficient time for the processing of the material.
- All short loan items have library catalogue records and can therefore be retrieved via SUNSearch.
An electronic system for placing articles and book chapters on short loan is available at the Short Loan Section of the Stellenbosch University Library.
Procedure for academic staff when placing chapters and articles on Short Loan:
- In order to comply with the law, copyright clearance needs to be obtained before articles and book chapters may be placed on short loan.
- Information about copyright may be obtained from Carol Kat | Tel: 021 808 2992
- Submit requests to copy material.
- A good quality copy of the article or chapter, as well as the PLO CHEC acceptance form, must be submitted to the Short Loan Section.
- The short loan reservation form must be completed.
The Short Loan staff will digitize the chapters/articles and make them available through E-reserves.
Academic staff are requested:
- to alert students to this service;
- to inform their students that there is a direct link to electronic reserves on SUNLearn;
- to ascertain the electronic availability of articles before these are submitted to be placed on short loan.
Students can access these articles/chapters electronically during the reservation period. When this expires, the material will be deleted from the catalogue.
Tutorials, class notes
The Library Service strongly supports the use of SUNLearn for making tutorials, class notes, etc. available to students rather than using the short loan section for this purpose.
- Only recommended reading material may be reserved.
- Due to the need to limit the size of the division it is proposed that the “7 DAY LOAN" or “24 HOUR LOAN" facility be used instead.
- Books may only be reserved for a specific course programme.
- The short loan sections are not responsible for the replacement of stolen or lost short loan material.
Medicine & Health Sciences
Engineering & Forestry
USBL (Bellville Park Campus Library)