Interlibrary loans is a service available to SU registered students and staff to request books and articles,
not available at the libraries of the SU Library
and Information Service. Documents are requested from South African and
How do I request an interlibrary loan?
If you are a registered SU student/staff member and
have the reference for the item you need, complete the online interlibrary loan request form
to submit a request.
Free of charge
Articles: free of charge
Book chapters: R150 per chapter
Books: R500 per bookPayment procedure: Students pay in cash; staff may pay by completing and returning the requisition form.
Stellenbosch University Library
Branch librariesMedicine & Health Sciences LibraryTracey Louw | Tel: +27 21
Engineering & Forestry LibraryMusic LibraryUSBL (Bellville Park Campus Library)
| Tel: +27 21 918 4273
Information for other libraries
Items available for interlibrary loan
- Photocopies of journal articles, conference papers and chapters of books.
- Books may be requested by South African libraries (we do not lend books to international libraries).
- The SUNScholar URL of SU Master's and Doctoral theses will be supplied free of charge to requesting libraries, both national & international.
- We do not lend audio-visual material to requesting libraries.
Document delivery method
- Article Exchange, a software tool, will be applied as the standard electronic means for delivery of articles.
- Fax or mail delivery is acceptable in cases where the requesting or supplying library does not have the necessary facilities to receive or transmit articles electronically.
- Books will be posted by mail or can be collected by the requesting library.
Loan & renewal periods
- The loan period of a book is 8 weeks.
- No renewal is possible.
- Requesting libraries will be blacklisted if they do not respond to recall notices or invoices.
- The requesting library is responsible for the replacement of a lost or damaged book.
- Unless libraries have a reciprocal free of charge agreement, fees as determined by the National Library of South Africa (NLSA), will be charged for interlibrary loan documents.
- Photocopies exceeding the normal standard will be charged for, according to the NLSA price structure.
- The tariffs for documents to be sent by fax, as determined by the NLSA, will be applicable unless libraries have a reciprocal agreement.
- National coupons are acceptable for payment by non-online libraries.
- The rate for journal articles or book chapters for international requesters is $20.00.
- IFLA vouchers and IFM are accepted.