The Library and Information Service offers a wide range of group training sessions in different venues with the main focus on enhancing the information literacy skills
of all students at Stellenbosch University. One of the main venues for library training is the e-classroom
in the JS Gericke Library.
Outcomes of the training sessions
The outcomes of the training sessions are, for students to become skilled in finding academic information and to acquire research skills in order to improve the quality of academic assignments and to create greater awareness of plagiarism.
Library training opportunities for undergraduates, postgraduates and researchers
- Consult the training and events calendar to see the scheduled training sessions for each month of the year. Book a specific training session or consult the undergraduate- and postgraduate training program to see a list of all training sessions available for specific target groups.
- A wide range of online training guides is available at How do I? on the library homepage.
- One-on-one training sessions by library staff are also available during library hours, for example, at the help desk in the Learning Commons, at the information desks (upper and lower level) in the JS Gericke Library and at the branch libraries.
- Appointments with faculty and branch librarians may be arranged during office hours. Please request a one-on-one training session by your faculty or branch librarian with the Ask a Librarian online service.
Other training opportunities for postgraduates
Consult the support services’ training calendar
for postgraduates. These support and skills development workshops, courses, seminars and conferences are aimed at assisting postgraduate students to complete their degree on schedule and to improve the quality of their research. All generic library training sessions are also included in this calendar.
Online training guides
The How do I?
directory for online training material will assist you in becoming a competent user of academic information resources, by working through the available material in your own time. Many of the training programmes are video presentations with animation to liven up your learning experience. Through the How do I? directory you will learn how to:
- perform searches on SUNSearch (the library's search tool) to find peer-reviewed articles and books;
- understand plagiarism;
- understand and apply copyright;
and much more ...