The following guidelines apply to assignments (mini-theses), theses and dissertations.
Step 1: Supervisor nominates student
- Sign on to the staff portal. (Inquiries: Helene Nieuwoudt Tel.: +27 21 808 4577)
- Go to: Staff >> Student Admin >> Theses/ Dissertation Nomination.
- Nominate the student(s) concerned by means of a student number(s). Please note: If you submit on behalf of the student, please continue to Step 7.
- The student will receive an e-mail via their SU webmail account that the electronic submission space on SUNScholar has been prepared, accompanied with a link where the submission of the thesis/dissertation must be done.
- Once the student has uploaded the thesis/ dissertation, you will receive an e-mail notification.
- Click on the handle or URL within the e-mail. Verify whether it is the final copy of the thesis/ dissertation. Check that the title page contains the correct information, and that the declaration has been included. See Step 2: Prepare document for submission.
- Once again sign on to the staff portal and go to: Staff >> Student Admin >> Theses/ Dissertation Nomination.
- Reject thesis/ dissertation if applicable, or Approve. Indicate status of thesis/ dissertation, e.g. whether it should be treated as confidential, or if any other restrictions apply. Theses/dissertations under embargo must be approved by Senate. Communicate such requests to your Faculty Secretary.
- Once approved and processed by the library, the thesis/ dissertation will be available on SUNScholar
for access by others.
Step 2: Prepare document for submission
Look and feel of document
- Font: Arial or Times New Roman
- Font size: 10pt or 11pt or 12pt
- Font colour: Black
- Line spacing: Double, Single or 1.5
- Borders: 2cm width open around all text areas
- Paper Size: A4
Save your document in MSWord. Use the following file naming convention:
All the MSWord files (or other file formats) need to be converted to pdf for submission to SUNScholar.
Tel.: +27 21 808 4248
Step 3: Convert from MSWord to pdf
When using MSWord V.2010 and later: Save As >> Save as type >> PDF (*.pdf)
- It at all times remains the student's responsibility to verify the contents of the converted pdf document in order to ensure that no structure or content of the original source document was lost or manipulated during the conversion process.
- Please do not add any securities to your pdf document.
- Do not add your signature to the bottom of the declaration. No signature is required.
Step 4: Submit prepared pdf document electronically for acceptance by Supervisor
Make sure your document has been prepared correctly for submission and then ask your supervisor to nominate you.
- After you have been nominated by your supervisor you will receive an e-mail via your SU webmail account that the electronic submission space has been prepared. The e-mail will contain a link indicating where the submission of the thesis/dissertation must be done. Alternatively submit at SUNScholar Loader.
- Click on the link or "handle" in the e-mail and follow the easy instructions.
- Once the supervisor has approved your submission and it has been processed by the SUNScholar Office, it will be available online via SUNScholar for others to access, provided that no restrictions apply.
View the tutorial
Copyright© 2009 Contoso Corporation - All Rights Reserved