Step 1: Supervisor nominates student
- Sign on to the staff portal. (Inquiries: Helene Nieuwoudt Tel.: +27 21 808 4577)
- Go to: Teaching and Learning >> Manage Students >> Theses/ Dissertations >> Submission Theses/ Dissertations.
- Nominate the student(s) concerned by means of a student number(s). Please note: If you submit on behalf of the student, please continue to Step 8.
- The student will receive an e-mail via their SU webmail account that the electronic submission space on SUNScholar has been prepared, accompanied with a link where the submission of the thesis/dissertation must be done.
- Once the student has uploaded the thesis/ dissertation, you will receive an e-mail notification.
- Click on the handle or URL within the e-mail. Verify whether it is the final copy of the thesis/ dissertation. Check that the title page contains the correct information, and that the declaration has been included. See Step 2: Prepare document for submission.
- Once again sign on to the staff portal and go to: Teaching and Learning >> Manage Students >> Theses/ Dissertations >> Submission Theses/ Dissertations.
- Reject thesis/ dissertation if applicable, or Approve. Indicate status of thesis/ dissertation, e.g. whether it should be treated as confidential, or if any other restrictions apply. Theses/dissertations under embargo must be approved by Senate. Communicate such requests to your Faculty Secretary.
- Once approved and processed by the library, the thesis/ dissertation will be available on SUNScholar
for access by others.
Step 2: Prepare document for submission
- Title page: Masters Degree - Doctoral Degree. Please add the following crest as a watermark behind the text on the title page of the thesis/dissertation.
- English - Abstract (max. 500 words)
- Afrikaans - Opsomming (max. 500 words)
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- Content (e.g. Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.)
- Reference List (Referencing Techniques or RefWorks)
- Addenda (e.g. Addendum A, Addendum B, etc.)
Look and feel of document
- Font: Arial or Times New Roman
- Font size: 10pt or 11pt or 12pt
- Font colour: Black
- Line spacing: Double, Single or 1.5
- Borders: 2cm width open around all text areas
- Paper Size: A4
Save your document in MSWord. Use the following file naming convention:
All the MSWord files (or other file formats) need to be converted to pdf for submission to SUNScholar.
Step 3: Download pdf software
Note: When using MSWord V.2010: Save As >> Save as type >> PDF (*.pdf)
CutePDF software can be downloaded free of charge from the Internet.It supports Microsoft Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/NT/XP/Vista7.
- Click here to download the software.
- Select Run.
- Select Run.
- Select OK.
- Click Yes.
- Click Yes.
- Select OK and restart your computer.
CutePDF Writer also requires the following converter:
- Click here to download the convertor.
- Click Run.
- Once again click Run.
- Click Setup.
- Installation will be completed.
CutePDF Writer will now be available as a printer on your computer.
Step 4: Convert to pdf
After successful installation of your pdf software (e.g. CutePDF), you can now convert your thesis/ dissertation to one pdf file.
- It at all times remains the student's responsibility to verify the contents of the converted pdf document in order to ensure that no structure or content of the original source document was lost or manipulated during the conversion process.
- Please do not add any securities to your pdf document.
- Do not add your signature to the bottom of the declaration. No signature is required.
- Open the MSWord (or other file format) version of your thesis/ dissertation.
- Click on: File >> Print.
- From the list of printers, select CutePDF Writer.
- Click OK.
- Choose a file name for your output pdf file. The file name should consist of your surname_firstwordoftitle_2013.pdf e.g. dutoit_assessment_2013.pdf.
- Then click Save.
Your document will now be converted to a pdf file.
Step 5: Submit prepared pdf document electronically for acceptance by Supervisor
Make sure your document has been prepared correctly for submission and then ask your supervisor to nominate you.
- After you have been nominated by your supervisor you will receive an e-mail via your SU webmail account that the electronic submission space has been prepared. The e-mail will contain a link indicating where the submission of the thesis/dissertation must be done. Alternatively submit at SUNScholar Loader.
- Click on the link or "handle" in the e-mail and follow the easy instructions.
- Once the supervisor has approved your submission and it has been processed by the SUNScholar Office, it will be available online via SUNScholar for others to access, provided that no restrictions apply.