About the Manuscripts Section
Original manuscript collections reflecting South Africa’s past.
• More than 400 collections of individuals and institutions.
• The Manuscripts section, in collaboration with Library Senior Management will consider donations of original manuscript material of individuals and institutions with research value.
• With donations, a donor agreement between the Library and Information Service and the donor must be undersigned.
• This section strives to build a collection relevant to current academic research and collects works within its focus areas, worthy of preserving for the future.
• Manuscript collections are sorted, fully indexed and catalogued and finding aids for the collections (inventories and catalogues) are available in the section.
• Afrikaans literature and language.
• South African cultural history.
• South African political history.
• Journalism and the South African Press.
• Stellenbosch University history.
• South African War 1899-1902 (Anglo-Boer War).
• South African art and artists.